Serving MrSidd images

Neil "Nemo" Martinko nemo at IRONCOUNTYFOREST.ORG
Tue Jan 17 15:18:04 EST 2006

"""
You can download the LizardTech MrSID Decode program and make your MrSID
files into GeoTIFFs.
"""

Yes, you can...  But remember, MrSIDs are COMPRESSED.

I have a MrSID of my county that is almost 1GB.  I wanted to serve it with
MapServer, so I came up with "the plan"...  1) Break the MrSID into sixteen
GeoTIFFs with mrsiddecode.  2) Create an index with gdaltindex.  3) Add the
index to a mapfile.

I created a small Python script to complete step 1...  And wound up with
sixteen GeoTIFFs that totaled nearly 15GB.

----
Nemo -- Iron County Forestry and Parks Dept