Kernel Density Mapping?

Ari Jolma ari.jolma at TKK.FI
Sat Jan 21 08:35:36 EST 2006

Bill Binko kirjoitti:

> Brent,
>
> Thanks for the info.  I will certainly look at the R tools: I was
> unaware of an S replacement (it's been years since I've seen S).
>
> It does seem (from what little research I've done) that these R tools
> will generate images, and not shapefiles.
>
> I am primarily like to take Point datasets, and generate polygon
> datasets.  I suppose I could take R, generate rasters, and then use
> gdal_contour to generate the vectors?
>
> However, I am willing (and probably capable) of writing a tool that
> can process the points, run the kernel function and generate the
> resulting contours directly.  Does anyone know where I can find a good
> description of the algorithm and/or some sample code for it?  Perhaps
> one of the professors out there?

I have no experience with this (despite my status :-) but I believe the
idea at its simplest is that the effect of the points (e.g., location of
an incident, which has no area) are "spread out" using the kernel
function (which has a value over some area), and thus you get a
continuous function of incidents/unit area. The parameters of the kernel
function are of course subjective, so visualization is used to select
"the best" values. Google gave me this URL on doing spatial kernel
density estimation with R:

http://www.math.uni-klu.ac.at/~agebhard/ERSA-98-D8-427/node6.html

but I'd go to some handbooks to learn more. I think the use of rasters
for computing the density map on is a practical thing. It is easy to
compute the density at any given point but it is much more difficult to
find the points where the density gets a specific value (which you would
need to do if you want to compute the contours directly).

Ari

--
Prof. Ari Jolma
Kartografia ja Geoinformatiikka / Cartography and Geoinformatics