New User - What to start with: Unix or Windows

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at DMSOLUTIONS.CA
Sun Jan 22 09:50:24 EST 2006

For a new user here's what I recommend:

a) try styling the MapServer map (called a .map file) right in ArcGIS with the Amein! extension: http://sourceforge.net/projects/avein/

If you have ArcView 3.x use the GIX export tool (http://gix.sourceforge.net/) to export your View as a .map file.

Otherwise you will be styling your data in a text editor (most of us do that but it's not easy for a beginner)

b) If you're on Windows, use MS4W (http://www.maptools.org/ms4w) - it will get you going easy.

jeff