Horrible Looking WMS Raster Imagery

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Mon Jan 23 23:57:43 EST 2006

On 1/23/06, Brent Pedersen <bpederse at nature.berkeley.edu> wrote:
> have you tried using image/jpeg?

In addition to fetching data from the remote WMSes as
JPEG, it is also necessary for mapserver to generate 24bit
output (JPEG or PNG24 for instance).  I don't know how to
do that with Chameleon myself, but I'm sure there is a setting
somewhere.

I think Ed is right that the problem is 24bit to 8bit color
conversion with correspondingly poor color resolution.
Given sufficient blotchiness from this conversion it can
even appear that spatial resolution is degraded (though it
isn't actually).

Best regards,