Improvement for legend symbols ?

Eijnden, B. van den (Bart) b.vdeijnden at AGI.RWS.MINVENW.NL
Tue Jan 31 01:07:34 EST 2006

I think this would be a very much wanted feature, we also have lots of
legends with over a 100 classes which become hard to read this way, whereas
the map most of the time only displays a few because of the scale.

Ofcourse I am always looking at the OGC side of things :-), so then we would
need something like Cubewerx's GetLegend request which also gets the bbox
and width, height as parameters (much the same as a GetMap request).

Best regards,
Bart

-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
Van: UMN MapServer Users List
[mailto:MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU]Namens Steve Lime
Verzonden: maandag 30 januari 2006 19:54
Aan: MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
Onderwerp: Re: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] Improvement for legend symbols ?

The fix really isn't that bad, we'd just need to track visibility as
features are rendered. Visibility would initially be set to false for each
class and set to true if a feature of a certain class is rendered. Then a
flag would be added to the legend object to take advantage of the class
visibility. This feature is not real high on my todo list at the moment
although if enough folks are interested then it could be.

Steve

>>> Troppenhagen, Horst-Günter <Troppenhagen at BGR.DE> 01/30/06 10:09 AM >>>
Hi list,

currently I am working on a PHP-Mapscript to display a legend for a
geological map. In general it's nothing to speak of, but geological maps
often have plenty of classes in a layer (the one I'm working on has 182) and
a legend containing all of them would be really huge. It is my intention to
have the legend only show the classes resp. legend items currently visible
inside the actual map extend but I found no way to manage it without
MapScript. Only at one place I found a hint to that feature: Bug # 750. I
can imagine the needs for such MapServer feature is growing. Does anyone
have an idea if this will be implemented in the near future ?

Best regards

Horst

Federal Institute for Geosciences and Natural Resources
Stilleweg 2
30655 Hannover
Germany
Tel.: (+49) 511 / 643-3327
Fax:  (+49) 511 / 643-3782
mailto:troppenhagen at bgr.de
http://www.bgr.bund.de

Disclaimer
Aan dit bericht kunnen geen rechten worden ontleend. Dit bericht is
uitsluitend bestemd voor de geadresseerde. Als u dit bericht per abuis
hebt ontvangen, wordt u verzocht het te vernietigen en de afzender te
informeren. Wij adviseren u om bij twijfel over de juistheid of de
volledigheid van de mail contact met afzender op te nemen.

This message shall not constitute any rights or obligations.
This message is intended solely for the addressee.
If you have received this message in error, please delete it and
notify the sender immediately. When in doubt whether this message
is correct or complete, please contact the sender.