WMS 1.3.0 in MapServer?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Fri Jul 7 10:14:22 EDT 2006

Bart van den Eijnden (OSGIS) wrote:
> Hi Barend,
>
> I don't know of any such plans (unfortunately).
>
> The big caveat is as I understand it that PROJ.4 currently has no way to
> determine the sequence of axes for a projection, and this is needed for
> WMS 1.3. In the projection WKT this information is not stored, so an
> application would need to check the EPSG database e.g.
>
> I am sure Frank will be able to comment on this more.

Bart / Barend,

Certainly from my point of view, the substantial change in CRS handling in
WMS 1.3.0 is the big bugaboo.  Clients are required to pass values for
EPSG latlong CRSes with latitude first, instead of the traditional longitude
first.  But projected CRSes remain easting first.   Then there are new
families of CRS space with the old ordering.  This stuff can be accomplished
if someone wants to pay for it, but I'm personally so pissed off at the WMS
RWG for this pointless churn that am unlikely to work on it for the joy
of supporting standards.

I don't know the other subtle issues.

If there is a demand for WMS 1.3.0 support (not much outcry so far) then
it would be helpful to collect funding to get DM Solutions or MapGears to
implement it.  Or someone else keen and trusted could do so.

Best regards,