ogr connecting to .tab files

Donal Regan donal_regan10 at YAHOO.CO.UK
Thu Jun 8 04:59:01 EDT 2006

Hello.
I would appreciate any help on the following

I'm having trouble connecting to MapInfo '.tab' files.

I have compiled mapserver --with-ogr and I can connect to '.mif' files.

I am using mapserver 4.8.1 and gdal 1.3.1

If I do ogrinfo or ogr2ogr on my '.tab' files , I get the following error

Unable to open datasource `../jmc25kRaster/' with the following drivers. etc

Error

When I try to a shp2img on a mapfile containing the following

LAYER
   GROUP "jmc25kRaster"
   TYPE POLYGON
   CONNECTIONTYPE OGR
   CONNECTION "/mapdata/jmc25kRaster/543654_ras25.tab"
   STATUS ON
   STYLEITEM "AUTO"
END

I get an the following error:
 OGR error. Open failed for OGR connection `/mapdata/jmc25kRaster/'.  File not found or unsupported format.

whereas a shp2img on a mapfile with the following layer works ok

LAYER
  NAME rivers
  TYPE LINE
  STATUS DEFAULT
  CONNECTIONTYPE OGR
  CONNECTION "/mapdata/mif_midsample/river.mif"
  #STYLEITEM "AUTO"
CLASS
       NAME "rivers"
       COLOR 0 0 255