ogr connecting to .tab files

Andrew Williams awilliams at RAPIDMAP.COM.AU
Thu Jun 8 23:53:00 EDT 2006

If I can offer a possibility, it may be that the TIFFs are already GeoTiffs. The TAB may be a red herring. Try using GDALINFO and see if the TIFFs can be used directly.

regards
Andrew

	-----Original Message-----
	From: Frank Warmerdam [mailto:warmerdam at POBOX.COM]
	Sent: Fri 6/9/2006 1:10 PM
	To: MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
	Subject: Re: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] ogr connecting to .tab files

	Donal Regan wrote:
	> Hi Frank,
	>
	> Thanks for the reply.
	>
	> What I have is a load of .tab files with corresponding .TIF files. The
	> .tab files have  Type : "RASTER" in the definition table so I presume
	> that means they're not supoorted. Does this mean I can't use them as a
	> Mapserver datasource at all? Or can I convert them somehow into a format
	> supported by Mapserver?

	Donal,

	There have been other discussions of roughly this topic either here or on
	gdal-dev recently.  You might want to take a look.  Generally speaking
	you can write a script that will translate the .tab files into .wld files
	or use them to attach gcps to the .tif files using gdal_translate.

	You may also find you can convert them into proper GeoTIFFs with MapInfo.
	But currently gdal won't do it all for you.

	Sorry,