MapServer incompatibility with RHEL4/CE NTOS4.2

Doyon, Jean-Francois Jean-Francois.Doyon at CCRS.NRCAN.GC.CA
Mon Mar 6 10:27:12 EST 2006

Alright, I have now officially tracked down the source of the problem.

The FreeType 2.1.9-1 source package that comes with CentOS 4.2 is not built
properly, or at least packaged properly.

It includes a patch called "freetype-2.1.3-enable-ft2-bci.patch" that is
supposed to turn on the ByteCode Interpreter within FreeType.

This patch as you see dates back to version 2.1.3 ... And when applied to
the 2.1.9 source code, it doesn't work (the line numbers don't match?),
which means that the 2.1.9 binary package does NOT have the Bytecode
Interpreter enabled, as other releases always did.

In my case at least, this causes the rendering problems I've been
experiencing.  Also because I wasn't aware of this option, any package I
compiled manually would suffer from the problem as well.

If I recompile the 2.1.9 source and manually edit the #define for BCI, then
everything is back to normal!

Bloody hell.

I suppose not all font files get affected the same way by this, so not every
one might notice a difference?

Cheers,
J.F.