MapServer with MapInfo (WFS)

Rahkonen Jukka Jukka.Rahkonen at MMMTIKE.FI
Thu May 4 05:36:10 EDT 2006

On 5/3/06, Frank Warmerdam <warmerdam at pobox.com> wrote:

	Francesco,

	If you can provide details making it easy to reproduce this problem, then
	I imagine we can fix it in MapServer.  An easy to reproduce problem might
	be a text file which when piped into mapserver with appropriate options
	or environment variables will trigger this problem.

	I think a literal capture of the posted request from mapinfo (make sure
	the CR's are preserved by zipping it!) when piped into mapserv.exe with
	the environment variable REQUEST set to POST *should* trigger the same
	behavior. If you can accomplish demonstrating the bug this way then please
	submit it in bugzilla and someone should be able to fix it pretty quickly.
	You can assign it to me if you wish.

	Best regards,
	light and sound - activate the windows | http://pobox.com/~warmerdam <http://pobox.com/%7Ewarmerdam>

I wonder if this problem might be related to that POST thing.  I have been able to use my Mapserver WFS with some clients only, and if the client offers possibility to select using GET or POST, only GET has been working.  I did not bother to struggle with this for long but started to use Geoserver WFS instead. Now I made one more short trial to reproduce the problem:

I used a free Cadcorp SIS map browser as a WFS client because with that you can select if you would like to use GET of POST, in addition to other nice features like having spatial and feature filters.  I made a very simple mapfile, and hided it by following the advise in http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/docs/howto/wms_server/#more-about-the-online-resource-url just to be sure that having "map=mywfs.map&" in request would not make any problems. However, I am pretty sure that this client accepts the mapfile parameter as a part of the connection URL.

Now Cadcorp client is getting the WFS layer OK when in GET mode. If POST is selected, it gives the following error message:
Invalid document structure at line 1, column 1 in file http://localhost:8060/cgi-bin/mywfs.exe?.
deeJUMP is using POST and it can not connect to my Mapserver, perhaps for the same reason.

By the way, Cadcorp browser has a "validate XML from server" tool which lists a few errors:
Unknown element 'SFE_XMLSCHEMA'
Element 'SFE_XMLSCHEMA' is not valid for content model:'(XMLSCHEMA,)'
Unknown element 'GML3'
Element 'GML3' is not valid for content model:'(GML2,)'

I have no idea about the severity of these errors or if they are errors at all. Not many WFS services I have tried are accepted by this Cadcorp validation tool without any comments, but they may still be usable for the Map browser. My local Geoserver seem to be one of the few without any validation errors.

Regards,

-Jukka Rahkonen-