Projection issue in Mapscript vs Mapfile

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Sat May 6 10:42:54 EDT 2006

d c wrote:
> Hi listers,
>
> I want  to set the following projection (which works perfectly in the
> mapfile)
> dynamically in Mapscript.
>
> PROJECTION
>  "proj=stere"
>  "ellps=WGS84"
>  "datum=WGS84"
>  "lon_0=0"
>  "lat_0=-90"
>  "lat_ts=-71"
>  "units=m"
> END
>
> ------  MapScript ----------------
>
> $map->setProjection("proj=stere, ellps=WGS84, datum=WGS84, lon_0=0,
> lat_0=-90, lat_ts=-71, units=m");
> - or -
> $layer->setProjection("proj=stere, ellps=WGS84, datum=WGS84, lon_0=0,
> lat_0=-90, lat_ts=-71, units=m");
>
> ------- Error -----------------------
>
> Fatal error: [MapServer Error]: msProcessProjection(): major axis or
> radius = 0 or not given in .....php

Dan,

The above may be an acceptable syntax for MapScript setProjection, but I
would like to encourage people to use the same syntax as on the PROJ command
line.

eg.

$map->setProjection("+proj=stere +ellps=WGS84 +datum=WGS84 +lon_0=0
                      +lat_0=-90 +lat_ts=-71 +units=m");

The error message suggests the ellipse setting was not being successfully
parsed.  If you still can't get it working with the above syntax, file a
bug in bugzilla but make sure it gets assigned to me (warmerdam at pobox.com)
and I'll dig through the PHP, mapserver and proj logic to see what is
happening.

Best regards,