label___scale confusion, or, Can I find out the scale?

Ben Madin ben at REMOTEINFORMATION.COM.AU
Mon May 22 21:38:54 EDT 2006

Hopefully a quick one, but I am struggling with getting labels to
display when zoomed in.

the mapscript seems to be working OK, as the output mapfile looks OK,
but the labels choose to either display or not throughout the
resulting map whether I zoom in or out. Ignore the actual values as I
have tried quite a range in both orders!

     LABELITEM "ADMIN1"
     LABELMAXSCALE 5e+006
     LABELMINSCALE 10
       METADATA
       END
     NAME "default_layer"
     PROJECTION
       "proj=latlong"
       "ellps=WGS84"
     END

My questions are :

1.	can I find the actual value of the "scale" and display it on the
screen (realising that it has no value to the user) (ideally in php-
mapscript)

2.	how does reprojecting the map affect the scale, and if we
reproject, for which projection do we have to specify when the labels
are added.

(to expand on 2, the map is ulitmately reprojected to orthographic)

cheers

Ben

--

Ben Madin