python mapscript with IIS

Richard Greenwood richard.greenwood at GMAIL.COM
Sat Nov 4 09:13:47 EST 2006

On 11/3/06, william paul <williampaul28 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi again to everybody:
>
> I am trying to use the example provided with dBox, and to combine mapscript
> python with dbox on IIS. I have installed dBox and seems to work, but I have
> problems with mapscript python. These are steps which I did so far:
>
> I have downloaded a installed on windows xp sp 2 with IIS, mapserver 4.10. I
> used the the binaries from MS4W, latest stable version from www.maptools.org
> I have downloaded and installed Python 2.4.3
> I have copied mapscript.py, mapscript.pyd and _mapscript.pyd into
> Python24/Lib/site-packages
> I have copied make_dlegend_xml.py. make_dlegend_xml_cgi.py,
> make_dlegend_xml.pyc into c:/inetput/scripts/
> I have modified the example.html to point the correct path
> In javascript console I get the error:
> Error: objDomTree.getElements("server")[0] has no properties
> Yet another dlegend initialization error. Implies that dlegend.js has
> received some data, but not in the expected form
>
> When I test the mapscript python installation I get the error:
> CGI Error
> The specified CGI application misbehaved by not returning a complete set of
> HTTP headers. The headers it did return are:

I don't think you have IIS configured to render any Python scripts.
IIS does not recognize the #!C:\Python24\python.exe convention.
Instead, you use IIS manager to map the .py extension to the Python
inturperter.

Open IIS manager, and properties for your web site, pick
"configuration" from the "Home Directory" tab. Under the "mappings"
tab, pick "Add":
   Executable: C:\Python24\python.exe -u %s %s
   Extension: .py
   Verbs: All
Now try your test Python script.

If you are having troubles with make_dlegend_xml_cgi.py, call it
directly with something like:

http://localhost/make_dlegend_xml_cgi.py?map=/path/to/yourMapFile.map?server=localhost

This way you will see errors that make_dlegend_xml_cgi.py produces,
not the downstream  errors that is has created in your JavaScript.
e.g. objDomTree.getElements("server")[0] has no properties

Rich

--
Richard Greenwood
richard.greenwood at gmail.com