How to stop raster layer being manipulated?

Dave Pearson pearsondave at HOTMAIL.COM
Sun Nov 5 11:16:56 EST 2006

I have the Andes raster mapping for the UK in OSGB36 format. In addition, I
have vector GPS information in lat/long decimal degree WGS84 format.
Additionally, I have some extra data sets also in WGS84 format (mainly
NAVTEQ). The mapserver is interfacing to another system through mapscript
that requires to recieve and send lat/long co-ordinates in decimal degrees.

My problem is this: when I display the composite map, I get a vertical
"squishing" of the raster layer as (presumably) gdal is translating the
image on the fly into WGS84 space. OSGB36 is a pretty flat (and square!)
projection, but I end up with a nicely curved and vertically foreshortened
one with text that is then very difficult to read.
What I would ideally like is for mapserver to not attempt to manipulate the
raster at all, but allow it to be projected effectively in OSGB dimensions
but with lat / long units of measure instead of the OSGB units. This would
ideally mean that my WGS84 data would reproject into effectively a "flat"
space but still with lat /long units. Hope that makes sense, is it possible?
Or is it something daft I'm doing with the PROJECTION that's causing all
this fuss, I hope so! Can anybody offer me some guidance?

Here's my map def:

OUTPUTFORMAT
        NAME png
        DRIVER "GD/PNG"
        IMAGEMODE pc256
END
MAP
        STATUS ON
        SIZE 500 380
        EXTENT  -11.0 44.0 9.0 59.0
        UNITS dd
        SHAPEPATH "/var/gis/live"
        IMAGECOLOR 247 245 222
        FONTSET "/var/gis/live/fonts/fonts.txt"
        PROJECTION
                "proj=latlong"
                "ellps=WGS84"
                "datum=WGS84"
                "nodefs"
        END
LAYER
        NAME andesl7
        PROJECTION
                "proj=tmerc"
                "lat_0=49.000000000"
                "lon_0=-2.000000000"
                "k=0.9996012717"
                "x_0=400000.000"
                "y_0=-100000.000"
                "ellps=airy"
                "datum=OSGB36"
                "no_defs"
        END
        STATUS DEFAULT
         TILEINDEX "al7.shp"
        TILEITEM "location"
        TYPE RASTER
END
LAYER
        CONNECTIONTYPE postgis
        NAME custpoi_poly
        PROJECTION
                "proj=latlong"
                "ellps=WGS84"
                "datum=WGS84"
        END
        DATA "the_geom from custpoi_poly"
        CONNECTION "user=user password=password dbname=dbname
host=127.0.0.1"
        STATUS DEFAULT
        TYPE POLYGON
        LABELITEM "description"