Compiling mapscript-csharp on Linux

Mike Leahy mgleahy at GOLDEN.NET
Mon Nov 6 18:20:48 EST 2006

Hello again,

It looks like I am having problems with the mapscript_csharp library.

Earlier, I had neglected to run 'make test', and now that I do, I find
I'm getting an Unhandled Exception (see below).  It seems that it is the
libmapscript.so that has this problem, since if I use the
mapscript_csharp.dll in windows with a pre-compiled copy of
mapscript.dll, it works fine as far as I can tell.  Once I try to do the
same in Linux with the libmapscript.so that I compiled, it fails with
the same errors as the make test output.  I'm not sure why I would get a
System.DllNotFoundException - I tried copying the library to my lib
folder.  If it try 'ldd libmapscript.so', the output also looks okay.

I might also point out that I had a number of funny error messages about
incompatible libraries at the end of the compile process, when the
php_mapscript.so library is created.  These messages look something like
"/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/lxml2.so when searching for
-lxml2", and the list is pretty long.  So far, it seems the library
loads fine in PHP, though I haven't had a chance to test it with an
actual map yet.  Could the fact that I'm running on an x86_64 version of
Fedora 6 be a problem?

I hope somebody on the list can give me some insight into this problem.

Mike

============ output from 'make test' in mapscript/csharp ==========

mgleahy at localhost csharp]$ make test
LC_ALL=C mono ./shpdump.exe ../../tests/point.shp

Unhandled Exception: System.TypeInitializationException: An exception
was thrown by the type initializer for mapscriptPINVOKE --->
System.TypeInitializationException: An exception was thrown by the type
initializer for SWIGExceptionHelper ---> System.DllNotFoundException:
libmapscript.so
   at (wrapper managed-to-native)
SWIGExceptionHelper:SWIGRegisterExceptionCallbacks_mapscript
(mapscriptPINVOKE/SWIGExceptionHelper/ExceptionDelegate,mapscriptPINVOKE/SWIGExceptionHelper/ExceptionDelegate,mapscriptPINVOKE/SWIGExceptionHelper/ExceptionDelegate,mapscriptPINVOKE/SWIGExceptionHelper/ExceptionDelegate,mapscriptPINVOKE/SWIGExceptionHelper/ExceptionDelegate,mapscriptPINVOKE/SWIGExceptionHelper/ExceptionDelegate,mapscriptPINVOKE/SWIGExceptionHelper/ExceptionDelegate,mapscriptPINVOKE/SWIGExceptionHelper/ExceptionDelegate,mapscriptPINVOKE/SWIGExceptionHelper/ExceptionDelegate,mapscriptPINVOKE/SWIGExceptionHelper/ExceptionDelegate)
   at mapscriptPINVOKE+SWIGExceptionHelper..cctor () [0x00000] --- End
of inner exception stack trace ---

   at <0x00000> <unknown method>
   at mapscriptPINVOKE..cctor () [0x00000] --- End of inner exception
stack trace ---

   at <0x00000> <unknown method>
   at shapefileObj..ctor (System.String filename, Int32 type) [0x00000]
   at ShapeDump.Main (System.String[] args) [0x00000]
make: *** [test] Error 1