FW: Info on MapServer

Fawcett, David David.Fawcett at STATE.MN.US
Mon Nov 6 09:16:35 EST 2006

Raj,

I am forwarding this on to the MapServer Users listserv for comment.
The answers to several of your questions are found on the home page of
the MapServer site.  http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/   To answer your most
basic question, the software is free and opensource and has no
restrictions on number of users.  Most of the avaible documentation for
MapServer can be found at: http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/docs

David.
-----Original Message-----
From: Rajashekar G [mailto:raj at vidwath.com]
Sent: Monday, November 06, 2006 7:06 AM
To: Fawcett, David
Subject: Info on MapServer

Dear Mr. David,

We are company based out of Bangalore, India.  We offer solutions and
services to logistics segment where we use GIS also as a technology. We
have worked on both ESRI and MapInfo GIS engines. We are currently
looking for an open source GIS engine so that we can reduce the cost of
our solution to our esteemed customers. In this regard we are thinking
of exploring MapServer for our web based application which is on .Net
technology.

Kindly inform us whether this engine supports the following features so
that we could consider the same.

1.	Is this a complete web based engine where we could offer a web
based solution on the same with around 200-300 users accessing the
application simultaneously for map viewing.
2.	Do you have any benchmarks on the map rendering speed on the web
with the above load? If so kindly furnish us the same.
3.	Does the map engine support the following features.

	a.	Map navigating tools zoom in, zoom out, distance,  info
tool, auto pan, centering
	b.	Does it support both vector and rastor map data set?
	c.	Does it support MS-SQL and Oracle as backend database
for the attributes?
	d.	Does it support animation layer? i.e. creating point
objects on the fly over web ?for eg. Vehicle tracking.
	e.	Does it support radial distance / search?
	f.	Does it support buffering for line and point objects?
	g.	Does it support editing the layers on the web - like
creating points, drawing lines etc.
	h.	Does it have a distance calculator?
	i.	Which is map data format supported? Does it support both
shape files (ESRI), MapInfo format as well Oracle spatial or any other
geo-database format.

4.	Does the map server have a licensing cost and does it have any
restrictions with respect to number of simultaneous users?
5.	What is the level of support and documentation provided for a
serious user like us?
6.	Can you forward any

We request you to kindly revert on the above at the earliest.

Best regards,

Raj.

Rajashekar G.

Vidwath Consulting