Mapserver WMS ECW Datasource(s)

Ken Boss Ken.Boss at DNR.STATE.MN.US
Wed Nov 8 11:36:02 EST 2006

Hello Andrew--

Mailing list:  If you can't search at
http://lists.umn.edu/archives/mapserver-users.html (?), maybe try the
gmane archive at http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gis.mapserver.user.

Debugging:  You can set DEBUG ON in either the MAP or LAYER object(s)
in your mapfile.  The MapServer website is your friend - at
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu, type "debug" into the search box at
upper right, and follow the links for Map and Layer for more info.

ECW support:  is provided through GDAL.  GDAL must be linked against
the ECW external libraries.  The easiest way to manage that is to get it
all pre-built in FWTools (http://fwtools.maptools.org/); both Linux and
Windows distros are available.

HTH,

--Ken

>>> Andrew Hughes <azza at LISASOFT.COM> 11/6/2006 4:55 PM >>>
Hey All,

I would like to use ECW as a data source and have tried with the latest
fgs (mapserver v4.6 and also tried with another install v4.8.1) but I am
obviously having some trouble...... I have "rtfm" :
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/docs/howto/raster_data/#how-are-rasters-added-to-a-map-file

I apologise going to the list for this information because I'm sure it
has been covered before! But apparently you need a "LISTSERV password"
to search the mailing list archieve's (wtf???) and signing up to the
list did not provide me with a "LISTSERV password"....

Firstly.... is there a way to turn debugging on???
My only debug message is "msDrawMap(): Failed to draw layer named
'ecw'."  Which is kind of obvious ;) ...

Secondly... perhaps there is something wrong with my layer definition
(my other layers in this file work perfect)???
LAYER
  NAME "ecw"
  DATA "/var/ecw/my.ecw"
  TYPE RASTER
  STATUS ON
  MINSCALE 00000.0
  MAXSCALE 1000000.0
END

Thirdly, perhaps my "FGS" installation does not allow me to read
ecw????????
azzabox:/opt/fgs# ./www/cgi-bin/mapserv -v
MapServer version 4.6.0-beta2 OUTPUT=GIF OUTPUT=PNG OUTPUT=JPEG
OUTPUT=WBMP OUTPUT=SVG SUPPORTS=PROJ SUPPORTS=FREETYPE
SUPPORTS=WMS_SERVER SUPPORTS=WMS_CLIENT SUPPORTS=WFS_SERVER
SUPPORTS=WFS_CLIENT INPUT=EPPL7 INPUT=POSTGIS INPUT=OGR INPUT=GDAL
INPUT=SHAPEFILE

Finally, while I have you attention I know there are several free and
public datasources.... I have found some Landsat available here:
http://www.geotorrent.org/ and would welcome any further data
sources!

Many thanks in advance

--AH