Mapserver WMS ECW Datasource(s)

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Fri Nov 10 17:15:07 EST 2006

Andrew Hughes wrote:
> Firstly.... is there a way to turn debugging on???
>
>     My only debug message is "msDrawMap(): Failed to draw layer named
>     'ecw'."  Which is kind of obvious ;) ...

Andrew,

You would add "DEBUG ON" to your layer definition.

However, I see your version string lacks DEBUG=MSDEBUG, so I don't think
the debug information will work anyways.

> Secondly... perhaps there is something wrong with my layer definition
> (my other layers in this file work perfect)???
>
>     LAYER
>       NAME "ecw"
>       DATA "/var/ecw/my.ecw"
>       TYPE RASTER
>       STATUS ON
>       MINSCALE 00000.0
>       MAXSCALE 1000000.0
>     END

This looks fine assuming the scales make sense, and that in actual
use you are enabling the raster layer (STATUS DEFAULT will force it
on).

> Thirdly, perhaps my "FGS" installation does not allow me to read ecw????????
>
>     azzabox:/opt/fgs# ./www/cgi-bin/mapserv -v
>     MapServer version 4.6.0-beta2 OUTPUT=GIF OUTPUT=PNG OUTPUT=JPEG
>     OUTPUT=WBMP OUTPUT=SVG SUPPORTS=PROJ SUPPORTS=FREETYPE
>     SUPPORTS=WMS_SERVER SUPPORTS=WMS_CLIENT SUPPORTS=WFS_SERVER
>     SUPPORTS=WFS_CLIENT INPUT=EPPL7 INPUT=POSTGIS INPUT=OGR INPUT=GDAL
>     INPUT=SHAPEFILE

You can't tell from the "mapserv -v" report whether GDAL or OGR are
built with particular formats.  If you have installed the GDAL utilities
in your FGS tree as well, you can use "gdalinfo --formats" to list them
all or "gdalinfo --format ecw" to check if ECW is enabled.  I suspect FGS
does not include ECW.

Also 4.6.0 beta2 is a bit oldish now.  Perhaps you should consider
updating to the latest fgs builds.

> Finally, while I have you attention I know there are several free and
> public datasources.... I have found some Landsat available here:
> http://www.geotorrent.org/ and would welcome any further data sources!

Yes, I've got a mapserver based WMS running with one of the big south american
landsat ecw files off geotorrent.org, as a sort of proof of concept.

   http://maps.gdal.org/

It *can* be done even if it is not trivial.

PS. The mapserver distributed in FWTools for linux does include ECW
support - http://fwtools.maptools.org/  That's what I'm using on maps.gdal.org
I believe.

Best regards,