AW: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] WMS STYLES-Parameter and Mapserver 4.10

Arnd Wippermann arndw at WTAL.DE
Fri Nov 10 16:21:41 EST 2006

Hello Roger,

My problem was, that Mapserver 4.10 omitted the STYLES-Parameter in the
WMS-GetMap-Request. Some WMS-Servers send an exception, because of this
missing parameter. Therefor I looked for a way to add the miising parameter.
One way is to add STYLES= to the CONNECTION-String for the Server. I don't
like it, but this way I am using. Bart has mentioned adding a tag to the
Layers METADATA (wms_styles 'default' ). I have thought, that I have it
positiv tested, but a look today shows me that this has no effect.

I have also tested other tags in the METADATA to apply SLD-Styles, but they
have also no effect. Because I add normally my SLD with javascript to the
requeststring, I have not looked deeper in the METADATA tags.

With adding &SLD=[url] to the requeststring, I get the wished results. But
it's importent, that the SLD is correct, the layer correct named and the Url
reachable via http from the requesting server. In the beginning I have often
failed and thought it is a Mapserver fault, but it was my fault. You can
look at my page. There I have some SLD you can use with the WORLD 4326
layer.

I know c, but I'm using only compiled binairies, so there I have no ideas.

Mit freundlichen Grüssen

Arnd Wippermann
http://gis.ibbeck.de/ginfo/ibbOLClient/OpenLayersClient.html