problem with MapServer global projection

John Daly jdaly at PANIX.COM
Mon Nov 20 12:48:08 EST 2006

All,

I'm a new MapServer user and list member, and I'd like to say hello to
everyone.  I'm also running into a problem trying to create a global map
projection, and I would appreciate any and all feedback. I'm trying to use
the projection example in Web Mapping illustrated, but although I have Proj4
support compiled in to MS, it does not seem to be actually using the new
units and projection defined in my global.map file:

MAP
   CONFIG "PROJ_LIB" "/usr/local/share/proj"
   PROJECTION
      "init=epsg:42304"
   END
#  PROJECTION
#     "proj=lcc"
#     "ellps=GRS80"
#     "lat_0=49"
#     "lon_0=-95"
#     "lat_1=49"
#     "lat_2=77"
#     "datum=NAD83"
#     "units=m"
#     "no_defs"
#  END

I've tried both approaches, and neither works.  The verbose switch to
MapServer prints out:
.
./cgi-bin/mapserv -v
MapServer version 4.10.0 OUTPUT=GIF OUTPUT=PNG OUTPUT=JPEG OUTPUT=WBMP
OUTPUT=SVG SUPPORTS=PROJ SUPPORTS=FREETYPE SUPPORTS=WMS_SERVER SUPPORTS=GEOS
INPUT=EPPL7 INPUT=JPEG INPUT=POSTGIS INPUT=SHAPEFILE

...and i'm using version 4.5 of Proj4.  both were compiled from source on
RedHat 9

I do not getting any actual error message, just a failure to correctly use
the new projection.  Has anyone run across this?  Is there an easy way to
test if my proj4 support is not configured correctly?

Thanks,

John