WMS Help please

Tue Nov 28 00:37:46 EST 2006

Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> Stephen Woodbridge wrote:
>> 2) then mapserver crashed trying to process the png RGBA wms image
>> into map image.
>>
>> 3) So I tried jpeg format and it responded with:
>> msDrawMap(): WMS connection error. Failed to draw WMS layer named
>> 'global_landsat'. This most likely happened because the remote WMS
>> server returned an invalid image, and XML exception or another
>> unexpected result in response to the GetMap request. Also check and
>> make sure that the layer's connection URL is valid.
>> drawJPEG(): Unable to access file. Only grayscale JPEG images are
>> supported.
>>
>> 4) So I tried tiff format and it responded with:
>> msDrawMap(): WMS connection error. Failed to draw WMS layer named
>> 'global_landsat'. This most likely happened because the remote WMS
>> server returned an invalid image, and XML exception or another
>> unexpected result in response to the GetMap request. Also check and
>> make sure that the layer's connection URL is valid.
>> drawTIFF(): Image handling error. Only colormapped and grayscale
>> images are supported.
>
> Steve,
>
> The above three issues are likely due to limitations in the legacy GD
> based PNG, JPEG and TIFF support in mapserver.  Is your mapserver built
> without GDAL?  If so, you won't be able to use RGB PNG, JPEG or TIFF files.
> I see the JPEG and TIFF functions report this reasonably well, but I don't
> see any RGB vs. colormapped checking logic in the drawPNG function.
>
> If you wish, you can file a bug on this.  I think we might well strip out
> the legacy raster support for 5.0.  The old functions have some fairly
> significant limitations, and no one (me included) is all that interested
> in supporting them.
>
> If you do write a bug - please feel free to assign it to me directly.
>
> Best regards,

Frank,

Thank you for your quick response on this.

Yes, I typically like to build a stripped down version of mapserver to
keep it small and to minimize the number of package dependencies I need.
So it is not build with GDAL, but it sounds like I will need to do that.
I will write you a bug on this, if for no other reason because it is
broken and segv and it should be fixed even if fixing it means removing
the legacy code.

BTW, As I mentioned on the Users List, I tried fetching the wms layer as
png, jpeg and tiff images and was not able to get any of them to produce
a mapserver image.

-Steve