MapServer 4.10.1 Memory Leak still exists

David Martin david at ITBEYOND.COM.AU
Wed Apr 18 22:15:08 EDT 2007

I have been testing MS 4.10.0 and 4.10.1 and have found that the Memory
Leak issue identifed in 4.10.0 still exists in 4.10.1 when running the C#
mapserver dlls and Mapscript.

Now I am using vb.net for the code development. I have released the code
live today and found it ran for 30mins before it consumed over 1Gb of system
memory. The code I am using is as follows:

There are two subs that inerface to MS one to display images and the other
to process form data and run a query:

    Private Sub DisplayImage(ByVal RefineImage As Boolean)
        Dim imageLoc, RefimageLoc As String
        If RefineImage Then
            ' This is a refined query - show number of results to the screen and
also the refined map
            imageLoc = "/Uploads/iMapPlot/tmp/" & Math.Abs(Now.ToBinary)
& ".gif"
            RefimageLoc = "/Uploads/iMapPlot/tmp/Ref" & Math.Abs
(Now.ToBinary) & ".gif"
            MSMap = New mapObj(MapFile())
            MSMap.setExtent(CurrentExtent.minx, CurrentExtent.miny,
CurrentExtent.maxx, CurrentExtent.maxy)
            Dim Refineimg As imageObj
            Dim Referenceimg As imageObj
            If MapLayers <> "" Then
                Dim layerElements As String() = Split(MapLayers, ",")
                Dim layer As String
                Dim lyr As layerObj
                For Each layer In layerElements
                    lyr = MSMap.getLayerByName(layer)
                    lyr.status = STATUS_VALUES.MS_ON
                    If layer = "Places" Then
                        lyr.data = "..\ExplorOz\Places\" & PlacesPOIName
                        Dim sty As styleObj = lyr.getClass(0).getStyle(0)
                        sty.setSymbolByName
(MSMap, "../../Images/PointPlace/symbols/" & PlacesPOIImage & ".gif")
                    End If
                Next
            End If
            Refineimg = MSMap.draw
            Refineimg.save(Server.MapPath(imageLoc), Nothing)
            Refineimg.Dispose()
            Referenceimg = MSMap.drawReferenceMap
            Referenceimg.save(Server.MapPath(RefimageLoc), Nothing)
            Referenceimg.Dispose()
            CurrentExtent.maxx = MSMap.extent.maxx
            CurrentExtent.minx = MSMap.extent.minx
            CurrentExtent.maxy = MSMap.extent.maxy
            CurrentExtent.miny = MSMap.extent.miny
            MSMap.Dispose()
            MainMap.Src = imageLoc
            refimg.Src = RefimageLoc
        Else
            imageLoc = "/Uploads/iMapPlot/Cache/" & Replace(Mid(MapFile,
InStrRev(MapFile, "\") + 1), ".map", "_" & Replace(MapLayers, ",", "") &
PlacesPOIName & ".gif")
            RefimageLoc = "/Uploads/iMapPlot/Cache/Ref" & Replace(Mid(MapFile,
InStrRev(MapFile, "\") + 1), ".map", "_" & Replace(MapLayers, ",", "") &
PlacesPOIName & ".gif")
            If Not System.IO.File.Exists(Server.MapPath(imageLoc)) Or Not
System.IO.File.Exists(Server.MapPath(RefimageLoc)) Then
                Dim img As imageObj
                Dim Referenceimg As imageObj
                MSMap = New mapObj(MapFile())
                If MapLayers <> "" Then
                    Dim layerElements As String() = Split(MapLayers, ",")
                    Dim layer As String
                    Dim lyr As layerObj
                    For Each layer In layerElements
                        lyr = MSMap.getLayerByName(layer)
                        lyr.status = STATUS_VALUES.MS_ON
                        If layer = "Places" Then
                            lyr.data = "..\ExplorOz\Places\" & PlacesPOIName
                            Dim sty As styleObj = lyr.getClass(0).getStyle(0)
                            sty.setSymbolByName
(MSMap, "../../Images/PointPlace/symbols/" & PlacesPOIImage & ".gif")
                        End If
                    Next
                End If
                img = MSMap.draw
                img.save(Server.MapPath(imageLoc), Nothing)
                img.Dispose()
                Referenceimg = MSMap.drawReferenceMap
                Referenceimg.save(Server.MapPath(RefimageLoc), Nothing)
                Referenceimg.Dispose()
                MSMap.Dispose()
            End If
            MainMap.Src = imageLoc
            refimg.Src = RefimageLoc
        End If
        map.Value = MapFile()
        layer.Value = MapLayers
    End Sub

    Private Sub Query()
        Dim result As Integer
        Dim lyr As layerObj
        MSMap = New mapObj(MapFile())
        lyr = MSMap.getLayerByName(SearchLayer)
        MSMap.setExtent(CurrentExtent.minx, CurrentExtent.miny,
CurrentExtent.maxx, CurrentExtent.maxy)
        If SearchLayer = "Places" Then lyr.data = "..\ExplorOz\Places\" &
PlacesPOIName
        Dim s As New System.Text.StringBuilder

        result = lyr.queryByRect(MSMap, CurrentExtent)

        If result = RESULT_CODE.MS_SUCCESS Then
            Dim resCache As resultCacheObj = lyr.getResults

            If resCache.numresults > 0 Then
                Dim shp As shapeObj
                Dim fName As String
                lyr.open()
                NumResults = resCache.numresults
                For i As Integer = 0 To resCache.numresults - 1
                    shp = lyr.getFeature(resCache.getResult(i).shapeindex,
resCache.getResult(i).tileindex)
                    For iItem As Integer = 0 To lyr.numitems - 1
                        fName = lyr.getItem(iItem)
                        If fName = "ID" Then s.Append(shp.getValue(iItem) & ",")
                    Next
                    shp.Dispose()
                Next
                If s.Length > 1 Then s.Remove(s.Length - 1, 1)
                lyr.close()
            End If

            'If SearchLayer = "Places" Then
            '    Response.Write(NumResults)
            '    Response.Write("<br />" & s.ToString)
            '    Exit Sub
            'End If
            lyr.Dispose()
            MSMap.Dispose()
End Sub

You will see that I dispose every element I create, this has been tried on two
servers (and the production system - dual cpu, 2GB ram) - I do stress the
application with hundreds of users per hour. The exception thrown is as
follows:
Server Error in '/' Application.
-----

msLoadMap(): Memory allocation error.

Exception Details: System.ApplicationException: msLoadMap(): Memory
allocation error.

[ApplicationException: msLoadMap(): Memory allocation error. ]
   mapObj..ctor(String filename) +54
   MapSearch.Query() +52
   MapSearch.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) +284
includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +1061

Any thoughts or help on this would be great, I have invested a heap of time
on this interface and do not want to go back to calling the cgi system as it is
slower - I am using the pre-compiled binaries in the MS4W package as
downloaded two days ago.

David Martin