WCS from multiple netCDF returning only background image

edfialk wef1 at CEC.WUSTL.EDU
Tue Feb 27 13:22:41 EST 2007

Hi, I have about 40 netCDF files I'm wishing to serve, each one is a
different year.

Following the netCDF outline at
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/docs/howto/WCSServerFormatHowTo I am able to
get an image to display, but is only the background color I specify in the
map file.

In the document it states what OGRInfo looks like for the timeIndex shape
file, and mine looks nothing like it.

Should look something like:
OGRFeature(timeIndex):116
  location(String) = mytime.tif
  time(String) = 2001-01-31T18:00:00
  POLYGON ((xxx,xxxx,.......))

Mine looks something like:
[root at niceguy RETRO]# ogrinfo RETRO.shp
INFO: Open of `RETRO.shp'
using driver `ESRI Shapefile' successful.
1: RETRO (Polygon)

This shape was generated using:
gdaltindex RETRO.shp *

Then, I ran the Perl script from the Use Case document (after modifying
based on file structure - no month,day,hour in my file, only year), then I
made the map file.

After a couple of errors, cannot find file, incorrect tileIndex, I got the
GeoTiff returned, but it's just the background image.

Here's the layer parts of my map file, just in case:
  LAYER
        NAME 'time_idx'
        TYPE TILEINDEX
        DATA 'RETRO'
        FILTERITEM 'time'
        FILTER '%time%'
  END

  LAYER
        NAME 'Retro'
        STATUS OFF
        TYPE RASTER
        DUMP TRUE
        TILEINDEX 'time_idx'
        PROJECTION
          "init=epsg:4326"
        END
        METADATA
          wcs_label 'Temperature data'
          ows_extent '-180 -90 180 90'
          wcs_resolution '1.125 -1.125'
          wcs_size      '2700 3197'
          ows_srs 'EPSG:4326'
          wcs_formats 'GEOTIFF_FLOAT'
          wcs_nativeformat 'netCDF'
          wcs_bandcount '27'
          wcs_rangeset_axes 'bands'
          wcs_rangeset_label 'Level units'
          wcs_rangeset_name 'bands'
          wcs_rangeset_description 'Z levels '
          wcs_timeposition '1960-01-01T00:00:00,2000-01-01T00:00:00'
          wcs_timeitem 'time'
        END
  END
END

and here's the getcoverage request URL:
http://niceguy.wustl.edu/cgi-bin/mapserv?map=/var/www/html/mapserver/RETRO.map&version=1.0.0&service=WCS&CRS=EPSG:4326&request=GetCoverage&COVERAGE=Retro&WIDTH=800&HEIGHT=600&FORMAT=GEOTIFF_FLOAT&TIME=1960-01-01T00:00:00

If anyone has any advice or thoughts about why it's just a blank color
image, I would be greatly appreciative.

Also,  anyone happen to know the OutputFormat syntax for netCDF?

Thanks in advance!
-Ed