Mapinfo Seamless Vector tables in mapserver

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Tue Mar 6 10:32:09 EST 2007

mikiet wrote:
> No dice eh ?, I have alittle more information in case it sheds some light on
> whats going on.
>
> I have set up the seamless table using mapinfo pro's seamless manager tool,
> specifying full path. I noticed that if I do an ogrinfo on my table it works
> fine
>
> C:\Tomcat5\webapps\rmxnyf\mapbase>ogrinfo test.tab
> Had to open data source read-only.
> INFO: Open of `test.tab'
> using driver `MapInfo File' successful.
> 1: Area_Mosaic (Line String)

Miki,

Try doing "ogrinfo -al -so C:\Tomcat5\webapps\rmxnyf\mapbase\test.tab"
from some different directory to see if the case similar to the
absolute path in mapserver works with ogrinfo.

> However when i specify the full path of the tab file I get an error
>
> C:\Tomcat5\webapps\rmxnyf\mapbase>ogrinfo
> C:\Tomcat5\webapps\rmxnyf\mapbase\test
> .TAB
> FAILURE:
> Unable to open datasource `C:\Tomcat5\webapps\rmxnyf\mapbase\test.TAB' with
> the
> following drivers.
>   -> OCI
>   -> ESRI Shapefile
>   -> MapInfo File
> When I do this test on a normal (non seamless) tab file ogrinfo works fine
> regardless of whether or not I specify the full name.
>
> Is this a clue as to where it's all going wrong ?.

I suspect path or permissions problems.  Internally the OGR needs to
construct paths to the component files of the seamless layer, and
this might be broken in some situations.

Also, are you sure you are using the same version of OGR for Mapserver
as in ogrinfo?  Seamless mapinfo support is *relatively* new so if your
mapserver were built with an ancient version of OGR that might be
the issue, though I think this is unlikely.

Daniel Morissette is the authority on mapinfo support in OGR as the
author of MITAB - the library used for it.  If you have a very pressing
need of assistance on this you could likely contracted him (via MapGears)
for support.

  http://www.mapgears.com/

Best regards,