MapServer performance

Romolo Manfredini romoloman at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Mar 26 20:28:03 EDT 2007

From: "Rahkonen Jukka"
> My test system has 3 GHz prosessor and 1 GB of memory.  I have on an
external Firewire 400 unit worth 2 TB of imagery, consisting or
> individual 300 MB GeoTIFF images.  Those are uncompressed and with
overviews, but untiled.  I have made layers out of those by creating
> tileindices. When I run test with Jmeter by sending simple, unique WMS
request hitting 1-4 original GeoTIFF files the throughput is around 200
> requests per minute.  The size of the output image is 500 by 500 pixels
and the requests are tuned to suit the original resolution.

You can try performing Jmeter test against a very simple php script that
output a map, so you can understand the phpmapscript overhead.
I'm not in condition to perform such a test on my high-end server and the
test server is really downsized so i would not take my results as reliable,
sorry.

Romolo Manfredini