issue with classitem and tileindex...

Peter Shrock thesl at YAHOO.COM
Sat Mar 31 21:32:24 EDT 2007

My layer setup is like this, but I got the same error message
(msDBFGetItemIndex(): DBASE file error. Item 'DATETIME' not found).

In my case, when I used point shapefile, it worked. In point shapefile, the
wms_timeitem field and the classitem are both in the point shapefile. But if we
use tile index file, the wms_timeitem field is in the tile index shapefile, but
the classitem field is in the data shapefile. I guess this is why mapserver
shows the error message.

This may mean that mapserver design only supports point shapefile (WMS-timeitem
and classitem are both in the data shapefile) and raster tile (TYEP RASTER) ,
not good for polygon shapefiles with seperate tile index.
Is this the case?

Peter

#  Tile Index layer
LAYER
  STATUS ON
  NAME "time_idx1"
  TYPE POLYGON
  DATA "tile_index2.shp"
  METADATA
    "wms_title" "TIME INDEX"
    "wms_srs"   "EPSG:4326"
    "wms_extent" "142 40 -50 85"
    "wms_timeextent" "2002-11-30-/2006-11-30"
    "wms_timeitem" "DATETIME"
    "wms_timedefault" "2006-11-30"
  END
END

# Data layer
LAYER
  NAME "timemap1"
  TYPE POLYGON
  STATUS ON
  DEBUG ON
  PROJECTION
    "init=epsg:4326"
  END
  METADATA
    "wms_title" "sample WMS-T"
    "wms_srs"   "EPSG:4326"
    "wms_extent" "142 40 -50 85"
    "wms_timeextent" "2002-11-30-/2006-11-30"
    "wms_timeitem" "DATETIME" #datetime is a column of type date/timestamp
    "wms_timedefault" "2006-11-30"
  END
  TILEITEM "Location"
  TILEINDEX "time_idx1"