Coordinates in degrees, minutes and seconds

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Fri May 25 09:56:42 EDT 2007

H Garcia wrote:
> The problem is that the x and y table fields are strings so as "42º 17' 30''N"
> I would like to know if it is possible to make some type of transformation
> between this representation and the decimal one, in order to mapserver to
> understand my layer.

Helen,

I am not aware of a way to do this with mapserver cgi and ogr.  I could
prepare a modification to the VRT driver to support this, but it would
likely have to be custom to you, since it isn't a generally valuable feature
(IMHO).  Also, use of a field in this format will defeat any spatial
querying that could be done in the database.  So performance will be poor
if there are a lot of features in your tables (ie. 10's of thousands).

Best regards,