Raster layer - Howto?

Norman Vine nhv at CAPE.COM
Thu Nov 1 06:53:52 EDT 2007

Pascal Ehlert writes:

> Gregor Mosheh wrote:
> > I don't have a world file handy at the moment, but it only took me
> > about 5 minutes to learn it for the first time. Name the worldfile
> > land_shallow_topo_8192.tfw and gdalinfo will automagically detect
> > it and suddenly change its tone. :)
>
> Sorry, apparently I'm not as clever as you are.. ;-)
> I'm totally new to the GIS sector and thus don't really understand
> the terms used there and the techniques behind.
>
> Would you (or someone else, of course) mind giving me an example
> world file with a few comments, so that I can understand it?
> Unfortunately I couldn't find such an example on the web.

http://www.gdal.org/frmt_various.html#WLD
Google("tfw tif")  should yield lots of examples

Being new to GIS you will probably need to study a bit :-)
This is a decent general introduction
http://www.colorado.edu/geography/gcraft/contents.html

Here is a gentle intro to 'projections'
http://www.colorado.edu/geography/gcraft/notes/mapproj/mapproj.html

Here is an overview of a popular OpenSource programing implementation
of the GIS 'raster' data model.    eg maps and 'photos'
http://www.gdal.org/gdal_datamodel.html

HTH

Norman