Using Demo in the Wiki Causes All My PHP/Mapscript Examples to Die

Bill Thoen bthoen at GISNET.COM
Fri Nov 2 14:46:13 EDT 2007

I've been experimenting with PHP/mapscript and came across an example of
how to display points dynamically (it's in the wiki at
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?PHPMapScriptAddPoint), and
so I wanted to try it.

It seems to work for several points in a row (basically moving a single
point to the next place I click) but after about 10 clicks or so, the
application dies with a loadLayer() error (which causes a cascade of
subsequent errors.) Worse, I discover that when this happens NONE of my
other PHP/mapscript applications will work, even though they've been
working fine and use other data sources and map files. I have to reboot
my machine to get them to work again.

I've added a call to $pt->free() following the line with $pt->draw() in
it and fixed the parameter list in click2map() to include the
$map->extent, but that doesn't seem to cure it.

I'm using MapServer 4.10.0 and I think mapscript 4.8, and this is all
running on Fedora Core 5 Linux machine.

Does anyone have any idea what's happening and how I can correct it?

TIA,
- Bill Thoen