Mapserver and MySQL

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Tue Nov 6 09:16:29 EST 2007

Vishal Nagpal wrote:
> Hello Everybody,
> I am trying to use MapServer to read MySQL spatial data but it is unable to
> open the database.
> I tried to use ogrinfo MySQL:test user=mysql  tablename -so
> But it gave a message that unable to open with existing drivers,
> I am working pretty fine with POSTGRES, DGN and DT2 layers
> is it possible that i have missed out on some steps in installation of GDAL/OGR,
>
> Also I tried to use ovf files but there too I faced the same problem,
> Some of the examples of ovf file use
> ODBC while others use MySQL
> which one to follow, is it OK to use either,

Vishal,

The MySQL driver is not built into OGR by default.  Did you build GDAL/OGR
from source yourself?  Did you explicitly configure in Mysql support?

OVF (VRT) files are normally used when you use a mysql table through odbc
that is not using spatial data types.  The OVF file tells OGR which columns
are x and y.

Best regards,