WFS POST requests: "No template provided" error

Rahkonen Jukka Jukka.Rahkonen at MMMTIKE.FI
Fri Nov 9 09:36:49 EST 2007

Hi,

I made a test with OpenJUMP WFS plugin (http://openjump.org) that is using only POST method.
For the first link GetCapabilities goes OK, but the plugin cannot parse the response correctly.  Because of that I cannot send DescribeFeatureType, but when I tried GetFeature I got also "No template provided" error.

This is the request that OpenJUMP plugin is generating:
<wfs:GetFeature xmlns:ogc="http://www.opengis.net/ogc" xmlns:gml="http://www.opengis.net/gml" xmlns:wfs="http://www.opengis.net/wfs" service="WFS" version="1.0.0" maxFeatures="1000" outputFormat="GML2">
<wfs:Query xmlns:null="null" typeName="envirodat">
</wfs:Query>
</wfs:GetFeature>

And this is the response:
<HTML><HEAD><TITLE>MapServer Message</TITLE></HEAD><!-- MapServer version 4.8.3 OUTPUT=GIF OUTPUT=PNG OUTPUT=JPEG OUTPUT=WBMP OUTPUT=PDF OUTPUT=SWF OUTPUT=SVG SUPPORTS=PROJ SUPPORTS=FREETYPE SUPPORTS=WMS_SERVER SUPPORTS=WMS_CLIENT SUPPORTS=WFS_SERVER SUPPORTS=WFS_CLIENT SUPPORTS=WCS_SERVER SUPPORTS=THREADS SUPPORTS=GEOS INPUT=JPEG INPUT=POSTGIS INPUT=OGR INPUT=GDAL INPUT=SHAPEFILE DEBUG=MSDEBUG --><BODY BGCOLOR="#FFFFFF">mapserv(): Web application error. No template provided. <br></BODY></HTML>

The result is the same with the other URL.

OpenJUMP plugin was developed against GeoServer version 1.5, and with that it works rather well, despite sometimes parsing errors with certain data types (time, decimal).  However, is has always had problems with all MapServer based WFS services, including my own ones.  As its best I can get GetCapabilities and even GetFeature through, but there has always been some problems with parsing the capabilities right, and with DescribeFeatureType.  The plugin has some tools for debugging so if someone sends me URLs I may try those and see what happens.

-Jukka Rahkonen-