Problems with WFS and ARCGIS

Frank Steggink Frank.Steggink at BENTLEY.COM
Fri Nov 9 09:37:06 EST 2007

Hello Jay,

I've tested your WFS service with our client, and I can import the data
just fine. There were 609 features, mostly rectangles, spread over all
Alaska. The responses of your server, and the GML, look good to me.

I would guess it is an ArcGIS/ArcMap problem, and not a problem with
your Mapserver configuration. The feature ID's in the GML are
alphanumeric, like "SDMI_Inventory.174". From the error message which is
generated, it seems that this might be the problem, but alphanumeric
ID's are perfectly valid for GML.

Note that I don't know much about MapServer, let alone ArcGIS/ArcMap, so
I can't help you with any problems related to the software.

Frank

-----Original Message-----
From: UMN MapServer Users List [mailto:MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU] On
Behalf Of Jay Cable
Sent: Thursday, November 08, 2007 13:14
To: MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
Subject: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] Problems with WFS and ARCGIS

Hello List,

I have a question in regards to serving up data via WFS from mapserver
to desktop gis clients like Arcmap.

I have wfs server (the url is http://wfs.alaskamapped.org//inventory? ).

It appears to work, but a number of things that folks normally do in
arcgis/arcmap/arcwhatever with other data sources do not work and
generate a "This operation failed because the database table does not
have a numeric index" error message.  I am somewhat baffled by this, as
this error message is generated when you use the "Select Feature" tool
or try to view the WFS as a table - pretty basic stuff that users will
want to do.

I am not sure if this is a problem with my mapfile, a problem with
arcgis, or just a limit of using (or my understanding of) WFS.

Thanks,
  -Jay

Here is my mapfile (hopefully posting something is long is not bad form
for this list - if so let me know off line and i will not do it again)

NAME SDMI_Inventory
STATUS ON
SIZE 400 300
EXTENT -180 0 180 90
UNITS METERS
IMAGECOLOR 255 255 255
DEBUG ON

WEB
   METADATA
     "wfs_title"            "SDMI Inventory"  ## REQUIRED
     "wfs_onlineresource"   "http://wfs.alaskamapped.org/inventory?"  ##

Recommended
     "wfs_srs"               "EPSG:4326"  ## Recommended
   END
END

PROJECTION
   "init=epsg:102006"
END

LAYER
   NAME SDMI_Inventory
   METADATA
     "wfs_title"    "SDMI Inventory" ## REQUIRED
     "wfs_abstract" "This WFS service provides information about the
data in the SDMI holdings.  For more information, please see
http://www.alaskamapped.org or email wms at alaskamapped.org."
     "wfs_accessconstraints" "None."
     "wfs_extent"  "-180 0 180 90"
     "wfs_srs"               "EPSG:4326"  ## Recommended
     "gml_featureid" "id" ## REQUIRED
     "gml_include_items" "all"  ## Optional (serves all attributes for
layer)
     "gml_geometries" "footprints"
     "gml_footprints_type" "polygon"
     "gml_objectid_type" "integer"
     "gml_id_type" "integer"

   END

   TYPE POLYGON
   STATUS ON

   PROJECTION
     "init=epsg:4326"
   END

   CONNECTIONTYPE POSTGIS
   CONNECTION "host=XXXX dbname=XXXX user=XXXXX"
   DATA "llgeom from (select llgeom,footprints.id as objectid,
footprints.id as id, scene_gid as scene_id, scraps.downloadable as
downloadable,start_time,end_time,source_res, sources.name as contact,
licenses.web_label as license_type,
'http://browse.alaskamapped.org/footprint/download/'||footprints.id as
url FROM footprints, licenses, scraps, sources where
footprints.scrap_id=scraps.id and licenses.id=scraps.license_id and
scraps.source_id = sources.id ) as foo using unique id using SRID=4326"

   PROCESSING "CLOSE_CONNECTION=DEFER"

   DEBUG ON

   DUMP TRUE           ## REQUIRED

END # Layer