Migrating from Windows to Linux: trouble with mapfiles

Kyle Wilcox Kyle.Wilcox at NOAA.GOV
Wed Nov 14 09:44:32 EST 2007

The only thing that needs to change in your mapfile from windows to
linux are the paths.

Are you familiar with linux?  With a recent version of mapserver you can
use both relative and absolute paths in a mapfile.  Here is a simple
example that shows both.  The mapfile sits at
/work/CPC/Mapping/mapfiles/.  One note when using includes; if you nest
them, the path is relative to the FIRST mapfile.

MAP
        NAME "Coastal_Prediction_Center_WMS"
        # Chesapeake Bay
        EXTENT -78.5 36.020210 -73.8 39.974250
        UNITS dd
        SIZE 500 300
        SHAPEPATH "/work/CPC/Mapping/data"
	#OR
	#SHAPEPATH "../data"
        SYMBOLSET "/work/CPC/Mapping/data/symbols/symbols35.sym"
	#OR
	#SYMBOLSET "../data/symbols/symbols35.sym"
        RESOLUTION 96
        IMAGETYPE agg_pnga
        INTERLACE ON
        PROJECTION
          "init=epsg:4326"
        END

        INCLUDE "output_formats.map"
	# OR
	# INCLUDE "/work/CPC/Mapping/mapfiles/output_formats.map"

	WEB
          TEMPLATE void
          IMAGEPATH "/tmp/ms_tmp/"
          IMAGEURL "/ms_tmp/"
          METADATA
            "MAPFILE_ENCODING" "UTF-8"
            "wms_title"     "Coastal Prediction Center Mapping"
            "wms_onlineresource" "http://155.206.18.162/cgi-bin/wms"
	    "wms_srs"       "EPSG:4326"
          END
        END

...  # Layers

END

--

 Kyle Wilcox
 NOAA Chesapeake Bay Office
 Kyle.Wilcox at noaa.gov

 "It is from the wellspring of our despair and the places
  that we are broken that we come to repair the world."
						- Murray Waas