Migrating from Windows to Linux: trouble with mapfiles

Gregor Mosheh gregor at HOSTGIS.COM
Wed Nov 14 11:33:33 EST 2007

Steven De Vriendt wrote:
> I'm trying to access my wms in qgis. When I access this url in qgis:
> http://80.201.239.208:8888/cgi-bin/mapserv?map=/etc/mapserver/wmsserver.map&version=1.1.0&service=wms&request=getcapabilities
> I'm getting an error that qgis can't access the postgis db.

All righty...
I got as far as trying to make a map request, and replicated your error:
http://80.201.239.208:8888/cgi-bin/mapserv?map=/etc/mapserver/wmsserver.map&version=1.1.1&service=WMS&request=GetMap&layers=grens&format=image/png

Indeed, it's complaining that your connection params aren't working. In
fact, it's saying "connection refused" which means that the PostgreSQL
server isn't listening. Strangely, I'm also able to connect to it via
PgAdmin. Indeed, that's baffling.

Are you able to SSH in to 80.201.239.208 and then connect to the
database using that same connection info from within the server? I have
a feeling that this isn't a Mapserver issue, but perhaps some firewall
issue keeping you from connecting to the PgSQL server from within the
server.

One thing worth trying: change the host= part to host=127.0.0.1 This
will try to connect to PgSQL on localhost instead of the external IP,
and should bypass any weird firewall rules. Beyond that, I'd want to do
some sysadmin stuff, hop in and poke around, to debug this; that may not
be comfortable with you though.

(oh, and BTW, you may want to tighten up on PgSQL's security after you
get this working; half the net now knows your IP, dbname, and password. ;) )

--
Gregor Mosheh / Greg Allensworth
System Administrator, HostGIS cartographic development & hosting services

  only if you can restore." - AMANDA