Premature end of script headers

Bob Bruce Bob.Bruce at GOV.MB.CA
Sun Nov 18 22:11:42 EST 2007

Hi, I'm hoping that someone can help me....

I'm getting the message: "Premature end of script headers" in my Apache
error log, I'm running on a VPS running Linux.

I have built mapserv and copied it to my cgi-bin folder, I have tested it
logged in via SSH with the command: "./mapserv -v" and it returns the
MapServer configuration just fine. I also have a look at the shared library
dependencies with the command: "ldd mapserv" and it shows all the libraries.

When I try out MapServer via the web with the URL:
http://209.205.39.229/cgi-bin/mapserv? I get a 500 Internal Server Error and
the Apache error log in /usr/local/apache/logs/error_log shows the message:
"Premature end of script headers" when I was expecting a message in my
browser of: "No query information to decode. QUERY_STRING is set, but empty."

My system has Apache version 1.3.39

The output from the command: "./mapserv -v" is:
MapServer version 4.10.2 OUTPUT=GIF OUTPUT=PNG OUTPUT=JPEG OUTPUT=WBMP
OUTPUT=PDF OUTPUT=SWF OUTPUT=SVG SUPPORTS=PROJ SUPPORTS=FREETYPE
SUPPORTS=WMS_SERVER SUPPORTS=WMS_CLIENT SUPPORTS=WFS_SERVER
SUPPORTS=WFS_CLIENT SUPPORTS=WCS_SERVER SUPPORTS=SOS_SERVER SUPPORTS=THREADS
SUPPORTS=GEOS INPUT=TIFF INPUT=EPPL7 INPUT=OGR INPUT=GDAL INPUT=SHAPEFILE
DEBUG=MSDEBUG

I'm hoping that someone can help me fix this problem so that I can finish
testing the cgi version and then I can go on to building the PHP module.

thanks,
           Bob Bruce