NEW Mapserver Application

Brant Anderson rabrant at GMAIL.COM
Tue Nov 20 08:44:42 EST 2007

>> Question 1   Can somebody suggest which is the best option to develop my
>> application CGI or Mapscript..
I agree with Marcos. The CGI is a good starting point to get your feet wet.
That's where I began. Until one day I decided to take the leap. I'd
recommend using MapScript with a language that you're comfortable with.

I tried MapScript using Python. I found that I could develop an app easier
using MapScript than with the CGI.

Eventually, I started developing Ruby on Rails apps. So I thought I'd give
Ruby/MapScript a try. I'm not sure what has changed in Ruby/MapScript since
the 5.0.0 release. But I found that my application was buggy when I switched
from 4 to 5. If you're going to try Ruby/MapScript, I'd recommend using
version 4.10 of MapServer.

>> Question 2   Which is the best software available for developing user
>> interface. (Cartography). Is their a basic version available as a start
>> point. like mapserver itasca demo.
You stated that you're using Linux. You might want to look into Quantum GIS.
I think there is a MapServer Mapfile Export feature. I haven't tried it, so
I'm not sure how it works.

Best Regards,
Brant