postgis table joins in layer DATA and FILTER

David Niergarth dn at HDDESIGN.COM
Fri Nov 30 16:36:35 EST 2007

I'm wondering if there is a way to join two postgres tables within a layer object.

We have a postgres table with a postgis geometry column and other details
(name, address columns). Problem is, we need to join that table with a couple
of other tables in the same database.

We have tried getting around the join problem by creating a view that hides the
needed joins but performance is terrible. We have also tried using an exists
subselect but performance is even worse. Creating a custom table for each map
we want to generate is completely impractical due to the size of the database.

However, writing sql as joins is super quick.

Here's an example of what we'd like to accomplish.

DATA "p.the_geom from people_points p, spam_table s, eggs_table e"
FILTER "p.id=s.id and p.id=e.id and s.spam='foo' and e.eggs='bar'"

Is there some other way to do this without having to create a (massive and
unnormalized) table with all the info we need or a view?

We're using postgres 8.1, mapserver 4.9, ubuntu server 7.04. We've heard there
were improvements to postgres (maybe in 8.2) that improved view performance,
but it's not practical for us to upgrade right now.

Any info or suggestions welcome,

--David Niergarth