Looking for public-accessible SHPs to practice Tile Indexing

Thu Oct 18 11:55:49 EDT 2007

kreshna_iceheart at yahoo.com wrote:
> I see! Thanks, Daniel.
>
> By the way, which one is better, performance-wise?
> Creating a Tile Index of .TAB files, or creating a
> seamless .TAB files?
>
> It seems to me that creating a seamless .TAB files is
> an easier approach, but does it suffer from slower map
> browsing that way? And if it does, does the difference
> noticeable enough?

I do not have any benchmark to prove it, but I would expect the
performance to be equivalent in both cases, unless you have a very large
number of files (i.e. several thousands) in the seamless dataset, in
which case a tileindex file in shape format pointing to TAB files may be
slightly faster than the seamless TAB dataset.

So if seamless tables are easy to generate for you then I see no reason
to not go that route.

Daniel
--
Daniel Morissette