[mapserver-users] Re: MapPoint Web Service and Mapserver

Aaron Hunt aaron.d.hunt at gmail.com
Tue Apr 29 13:18:09 EDT 2008

You are corrent. I problem is that I am not sure how to get the SOAP web
service to work. I do not have much experence in this area. I guess I am
looking for a script that can turn mappoint into a wms call for mapserver
using Python/PHP/Perl. Do you have any examples that can get me started?

Thanks
Aaron

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 11:01 AM, ROBERT HOLLINGSWORTH <reh2 at prodigy.net>
wrote:

> In other words, you want to have Mapserver consume Mappoint and pass along
> the images along with Mapserver's own layers to a client app?
>
> Mappoint is SOAP-based?  If so, what I'm doing with ESRI ArcWeb Services
> SOAP may be similar enough to what you're trying to do to be of interest.
>
> A couple years ago I added ArcWeb SOAP support directly to Mapserver
> 4.8.3.  See "integration with SOAP-based web services?" Jan 2008 in
> Mapserver -dev for some explanatory details on that.<http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/mapserver-dev/2008-January/004765.html>
>
> Meanwhile, for a current project I decided it would be better to use
> PHP/Mapscript instead of adding directly to mapserv (.exe).  I found
> something called "wsdl2php" which extends SoapClient.  Run it on your wsdl
> file(s) and it generates a .php filled with classes and methods in support
> of your SOAP requests and replies and data types from the wsdl.
>
> In my case, a WMS client wants the results, so I have a place-holder LAYER
> in the mapfile, TYPE RASTER, TRANSFORM FALSE.  I use clues in the mapfile
> plus the WMS request params to generate the SOAP request, then stuff the
> returned image into a raster file of the requested format so that mapserver
> will scoop it up as if it had been there all along.
>
> If you need any more details feel free to ask.
>
> Robert H.
>

> I am using Virtual Earth as the front end of a web system and mapserver as
> the mapping engine for the reports. Does anyone have any experence or know
> of any resouces that can help me use Mappoint web services with Mapserver? I
> want to use Mappoint for the background imagey so my PDF reports look like
> the map on the screen.
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> --
> Aaron D. Hunt