[mapserver-users] MapServer + Database + WFS

pcreso at pcreso.com pcreso at pcreso.com
Mon Aug 4 14:55:59 EDT 2008

Hi all,

One approach I'm looking at to manage this is setting up scale dependent zoom layers. Zoomed out, only a significant subset of features, simplified to reduce the vertex count, progressively adding features & reducing the simplify corridor as the map zooms in, to try & send a roughly constant volume of data to the client irrespective of scale.

The text version of a vertex list is pretty long, often hundreds of kb for a feature, so reducing the no of vertices & features should make a big difference.

I'm also looking at reducing the number of significant digits used to store each vertex, given each digit becomes 1 byte in XML, as the values often provide a far higher precision than is necessary (but I'm not too sure how to do this yet :-)

All this is in the pretty early stages of trialling, so any comments or advice appreciated.

Cheers,

  Brent Wood