[MAPSERVER-USERS] Problems calculating MAXSCALES

Steve Lime Steve.Lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Wed Aug 13 16:24:05 EDT 2008

I've not tweaked anything since that ticket was closed. My take on this thread is that:

1) With the same extent 4.8.3 and 5.x output different scale computations. This is true. There
were inconsistencies in what an "extent" meant to MapServer in older versions. That was standardized
in 5.0.

2) ESRI desktop scale computations do not match MapServer computations. Again true probably because
the number of pixels per inch value used in each package is different. The underlying pixel/extent model
shouldn't matter I guess.

In this case I think Rob is seeing the effect of 1) and if so would need to adjust his layer MAXSCALE and
move on.

Perhaps 2166 does need to be reopened but I don't think that has to do with the problem here which seems
to be an artifact of changing versions.

Steve