[MAPSERVER-USERS] SUMMARY: SLD not working

Paul McCullough Paul.McCullough at sfgov.org
Thu Feb 14 11:57:09 EST 2008

Thanks for replies:
    Bart van den Eijnden
    Jukka Rahkonen
While they did not provide the solution, they got me to thinking
differently.

The problem was that the SLD that works fine in geoserver does not work fine
in mapserver.
In MapServer, one must use sld:NamedLayer rather than sld:UserLayer.
Further, the NamedLayer name must match the map file layer name.

Jeff McKenna says it all in the docs:
When MapServer gets a valid SLD through a request, it parses this SLD to
extract
all the styles attached to the NamedLayers, and then it applies these styles
the map before it is returned to the client. When applying the SLD,
MapServer
compares the names used in the map files with the names of the NamedLayers
in
the SLD document.
RE http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/docs/howto/sldhowto

For clarity, I never stated what I meant exactly by "not working."
"Not working" in this case meant that the polygon was not being rendered.