[mapserver-users] The right tool for the job

Colin Wetherbee cww at denterprises.org
Tue Feb 19 21:18:29 EST 2008

Greetings.

I'm new to using GIS data, and I have a project for which I think GIS
and MapServer would work well.  I'd like to run the basic idea by this
list and get your input as to whether I'm choosing the right tool for
the job.

I have a PostgreSQL 8.2 database with PostGIS extensions installed,
which stores, in GIS form, coordinates for airports around the world.

I also have a rather large Perl web application that accesses other
things in this database.  This is the application to which I would like
to add some fancy maps.

Essentially, I'd like a map of the world, and I'd like to be able to
highlight certain airports and draw different types of lines between
them, based on dynamic input from the user through the Perl application.
  Each web page could potentially include a different sort of map with
different locations highlighted.  At peak usage, I suspect at least 75
maps would need to be generated per second, with an average of 30-40
data points and various amounts of connecting lines between them per map.

Is this the sort of thing MapServer is good at doing?  I've read some of
the web site, and really, I can't make heads or tails of quite a bit of
it, especially with respect to Perl.

Thanks.

Colin