[mapserver-users] The right tool for the job

Brent Fraser bfraser at geoanalytic.com
Thu Feb 21 10:02:48 EST 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Colin Wetherbee" <cww at denterprises.org>
To: "Brent Fraser" <bfraser at geoanalytic.com>
Cc: <mapserver-users at lists.osgeo.org>
Sent: Wednesday, February 20, 2008 7:53 PM
Subject: Re: [mapserver-users] The right tool for the job

> Brent Fraser wrote:
> >     3. OpenLayers
>
> I'm really glad you mentioned this.  I have installed it
and poked
> around a bit, and I love it!
>
> That takes care of the front-end quite nicely, but now I
need to get
> mapserv to start serving custom WMS data that gets pulled
from PostgreSQL.

> It seems the tutorial uses a bunch of DBase files to
define its layers,
> so I'm just as lost as I was before I installed the
tutorial.

> First, I'm going to wade through this [0] long thing, but
I'm wondering
> if there is a more comprehensive (and less image-heavy)
> PostgreSQL-MapServer primer somewhere else?

1. start with:
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/docs/reference/vector_data/postgis

2. Read the LAYER object reference regarding CONNECTION
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/docs/reference/mapfile/layer

3. Search the email archive (sad but true)
http://lists.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=mapserver-users
or
http://www.nabble.com/MapServer-f1214.html

http://www.mapbender.org/presentations/Spatial_Data_Management_Arnulf_Christl/html/