[MAPSERVER-USERS] Linux installation

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Thu Mar 6 14:33:24 EST 2008

Hi rich,
thanks for your comments.

for a production server I could have suggested Debian stable, but I
really haven't yet had any problems with testing...
But to be on the safe side (eg for a production server), you are right;
take Debian stable :-)

About the postgis package, currently testing has postgresql-8.3, but not
yet a postgresql-8.3-postgis package. If someone can confirm it's just
usable with 8.3 that would be fine. Using apt-get postgresql-postgis
appears to return me the 8.1 version, or a 'nothing found warning' on
different machines.
To be sure that this cookbook was working I did the 8.2 version (thereby
taking 8.2 and some debian warning message into account). I was trying
it during the writing on a freshly installed server, to check everything.

I will try to update instructions accordingly in the future.

Regards,
Richard Duivenvoorde