[MAPSERVER-USERS] installation error

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Tue Nov 4 16:55:23 EST 2008

lakku wrote:
> hi all
>  iam new to mapserver
>  i have downloaded ms4w_2.3.0.zip file on desktop
> when i extract this file into C folder it is displaying error as "cannot
> create ms4w\apache\bin\httpd.exe access is denied" plz tell me why it
> happens

Here are some things you can try:

1) If you are using Vista you will have to 'run as administrator' (see:
http://www.maptools.org/ms4w/index.phtml?page=README_INSTALL.html#c-special-notes-for-microsoft-vista).

2) I have seen your error occur before when Apache (httpd.exe) is
already running and you try to extract it over this running file.  You
could execute '/ms4w/apache-uninstall.bat' first, remove the old ms4w
directory, and then try extracting a fresh MS4W.

--
Jeff McKenna
FOSS4G Consulting and Training Services