[mapserver-users] Getteing the intersection of two layers

Christian Jauvin cjauvin at gmail.com
Thu Nov 6 11:19:50 EST 2008

Hi Everyone,

I have two layers that I want to intersect: one with points, and one
with multiple polygons representing the regions of a territory.

The first approach I just tried is doing it programmatically, through Python/MS:

I first union all the region polygons, and then get the convex hull of
this super-shape. I then restrict the points to those inside this
convex hull.

The problem is that it is really too slow.. I'm aware that I could do
it through PostGIS, and that performance would surely much better, but
I'd rather stay with a more generic solution, that is applicable to
shapefile data sources as well.

Would someone be aware of a better method, maybe one involving only
mapfile directives?

Thank you,

Christian