[mapserver-users] Mapserver Thread Safety

Nelson Soto NSoto at plotplans.com
Wed Nov 19 09:10:56 EST 2008

So I kind of feel stupid at the moment...

I had one understanding of thread safety and now I think I have another

My first understanding was that if multiple users were accessing a site
programmed very basically (not with any type of "multi-threading" code)
but simply the fact that multiple users were making requests that they
could potentially bump into requests and not return the same result if
only one user were making requests.

Now, I think it means specifically programming for a "multi-threaded"
application so that you are using multiple code paths asynchronously in
a given request would not be recommended without placing code-locks for
various features.

Can someone please clarify for me what the thread-safety is in regards
to Mapserver and Mapscript C#, PHP and Java and perhaps clarify one
thing; If I am programming without implementing multiple threads in code
but plan to have multiple users accessing the site, will they bump into
any requests?

Sorry for the ignorance, and thank you..