[mapserver-users] Re: php mapscript objects in session?

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Mon Nov 24 09:14:52 EST 2008

jim white wrote:
> I searched Mapserver site for UpdateFromString and found only MS RFC 31:
> function and print out the file which did work. However, my 2 attempts
> failed.
>
> $map->UpdateFromString('saved_map.txt');  got Call to undefined method
> ms_map_obj::UpdateFromString()
>
> and
>
> $map2 = msLoadMapFromString('saved_map.txt'); got Call to undefined
> function msLoadMapFromString()
>
> I am using mapserver 5.0.0

It seems that the updateFromString() methods were never implemented in
PHP MapScript. We'll try to work on that soon and get them in 5.4. Here
is the related ticket:

Note that there is no updateFromString() on the mapObj, only on the
individual object classes that compose a map (layerObj, classObj, etc.).
To instantiate a map from a saved file, you can pass the path to the
saved mapfile the mapObj constructor itself.

Actually, here is a list of the classes that implement
updateFromString(), from a quick grep of the SWIG MapScript code:

class.i:    int updateFromString(char *snippet)
label.i:  int updateFromString(char *snippet)
layer.i:    int updateFromString(char *snippet)
legend.i:  int updateFromString(char *snippet)
querymap.i:  int updateFromString(char *snippet)
referencemap.i:  int updateFromString(char *snippet)
scalebar.i:  int updateFromString(char *snippet)
style.i:    int updateFromString(char *snippet)
web.i:    int updateFromString(char *snippet)

Daniel
--
Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/