[mapserver-users] MS-SQL / OGR Query Length Problem

Ben Madin ben at remoteinformation.com.au
Thu Oct 23 22:49:43 EDT 2008

G'day all,

In a nightmare scenario, to provide maximum flexibility for a client I
am using php/mapscript (4.8) to generate and display mapfiles (not the
nightmare bit) using OGR to connect to a MS-SQL Server (2003)
Database... I would just like to say here the fact that this works is
nothing short of brilliant.

We can't use the mapserv.exe as they have a hang-up about security
risks, but we can use php. Go figure! The real nightmare is in fact
that we can get this all to work on the client's server, but can't
work out how to do it locally (using ms4w and MSDE 2000), and so have
very limited debugging information coming back to us - what we have
been able to work out is that if we have a working file with multiple
layers, the layers with short queries will work OK, but getting to a
layer based on a long query breaks it.

This was allowing us to create really great maps of all sorts of stuff
(the database handles multiple projects), except when we made a
seriously impressive SQL query (which returned exactly what we thought
was right) the whole process died.

Roughly, it would seem that between about 1600 and 1700 characters of
SQL kills the process. It can be very simple query (just straight
data), and shorter more complex queries work. cutting excess white
space can make a difference.

So, is it a limit of OGR or ODBC that I can't find any reference to. I
can't see that it is a problem with SQL Server, and I have had (I
think) longer SQL queries working using postgis...

My question is, does anyone know where this might be breaking /
happening? (bonus points if you know whether it is a configuration
setting that we could tune!)

cheers

Ben

--